Dr. John E. “Jack” Sullivan, Jr. M.D. FACOG
Board-certified Obstetrician/Gynecologist (Ob/Gyn) who has been practicing in Sarasota, Florida since 1991.
He was awarded his Medical Degree in an accelerated program at the University of South Florida, Tampa after completing undergraduate studies with honors in Biology and Chemistry at the University of Florida and the University of South Florida. He received his specialty training in gynecology and obstetrics at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center in Chicago, IL after a Transitional Internship at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, IN and a year in Psychiatry Residency at the University of South Florida, Tampa. After completing his Residency in Gynecology/Obstetrics, Dr. Sullivan served as an Assistant Professor at Rush Medical College in Chicago, until returning to his hometown of Sarasota in 1991. He then opened a solo private Ob/Gyn practice next door to the office of his father, the late Dr. John E. Sullivan, Sr. MD, a local Family Practitioner, who practiced medicine for 55 years.
Dr. Sullivan is also a skilled gynecologic surgeon, and has received specialized training in advanced, minimally invasive pelvic surgeries, including robotic(daVinci ®) and 3D High-Definition surgery, which he performs at Sarasota Memorial Hospital and its outpatient Cape Surgery Center.
Dr. Sullivan was instrumental in bringing the OB Hospitalist program to Sarasota Memorial in 2012, which provides 24-7 in-hospital availability of Board-certified Obstetricians ready to respond to immediate, and at times, potentially life-threatening Ob/Gyn emergencies. This has also improved the safety and expanded the possibility of VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) to many more patients, as SMH is the only hospital on the west coast of Florida, south of St. Petersburg, to offer VBAC.
Inspired by his father’s dedication and commitment to serving others, Dr. Sullivan Jr. immediately became involved with, and continues to be involved in numerous organizations, a few of which include:
- Founding and Continuing Member of the Community Medical Clinic (Sarasota Memorial Hospital’s free clinic), at which he provides free gynecologic services and surgeries to Sarasota County residents, in need, since 1993;
- Medical Expert for the Child Protection Team, providing examinations for sexually abused children as well as testimony on their behalf since 1992;
- Organizing and structuring the Obstetric Services Program at the Sarasota County Health Department (1991 – 2000), which stands today as the only one of 67 counties in Florida to maintain its own free-standing County Health Department Obstetric program;
- Member of the Executive Committee and Chairman and Member of the Credentials Committee at Sarasota Memorial Hospital (1996 – 2012);
- Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Sarasota Memorial Hospital (1995 -1997 and 2011 – 2012);
- Founder and Associate Director of Noel House, a faith-based home for pregnant women in crisis (1994 – 2002);
- Medical Liaison for Sarasota Medical Pregnancy Center, a local pregnancy counseling center affiliated with CareNet, ongoing;
- Assistant Clinical Professor with the Florida State College of Medicine as well the University of South Florida Colleges of Medicine and Nursing – teaching Medical Students and ARNP students; ongoing.
As a husband and father of two daughters, and as one of 7 siblings, Dr. Sullivan, Jr. enjoys participating in all manner of non-medical activities with his immediate and extended family, including boating and numerous water sports.
His passion for excellent patient care and safety, as well as his dedication to serving those in need, is evident both in his personal and professional life, and stands as a tribute to his mentor, and hero, Dr. John Sullivan, Sr.
Constance Lewis, ARNP
Constance Lewis is a Board Certified Women’s Health Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner. She graduated in 2005, from Virginia Commonwealth University with a Bachelor’s in Science and Nursing. For over 10 years she has enjoyed working in various management, educational and bedside positions in Neonatology. In addition to her extensive clinical nursing experience, Constance has a Masters in Nursing Education from South University and is a Certified Breastfeeding Counselor. Her love for women’s health inspired her to obtain her post masters Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Certification (ARNP) from the University of South Alabama in 2014.
She recently joined Advanced Gynecology and Obstetrics the Office of Dr. John E. Sullivan Jr, MD. She is a member of the Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health, and The Sarasota County Nurse Practitioners Association.
Her goal is to have a positive impact in her patients life by providing high quality, personalized evidence based care. She enjoys educating patients on future trends in the women’s health field as well as supporting breastfeeding mothers.
Constance grew up in Southwest Virginia. She moved to Florida with her husband Dr. Andre Lewis, a pediatric dentist and her dogs. In her off time, Constance loves going to crossfit, the beach and any tropical island her husband will take her to!